As we grow older, the challenges menopause brings with it commonly includes symptoms such as hot flashes, vaginal dryness, insomnia and irritability. Each of these symptoms on their own can each affect your quality of life and by extension, the quality of life of your loved ones. The importance of physical activity is extremely important during menopause, not just to help alleviate symptoms but to help lessen other changes that come along with menopause which can lead to cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, and depression to name a few.
There are a variety of things you can do during your menopause years to boost your physical fitness that will not only help alleviate your symptoms but will also help your overall health and wellness for many years to come. We’ve put together the following resources to help you be your best you:
- If you need a little motivation why you should start reaping the benefits of exercise during menopause, HuffPost 50’s Get Fit 5 Secrets to Exercising During Menopause explains that all exercise (even housework!) impacts menopause in a positive way.
- Coping with the changes your body is going through can seem daunting. HealthLine's The Best Activities to Do During Menopause offers up ten lifestyle changes you can easily adopt, ranging from fitness to stress reduction.
- Yoga has been long known as a great way to help combat stress and improve flexibility, but did you know that there are certain yoga poses that can help ease symptoms of the menopause? Yoga Poses For Menopause from Yoga Journal shares 10 helpful poses for dealing with menopause.
- The exercises included in The Best Exercises for Menopause Symptoms from EveryDay Health should be fun to work into your fitness routine. Starting with walking to get you going and then some swimming and dancing, these are seven ways to work out that you might not have thought of.
- Prevention's 6 Workout Mistakes Women Make When They Hit Menopause addresses what not to do when working out during menopause. They include simple tweaks like warming up sufficiently and changing your diet to checking with your doctor to ensure you can safely increase the intensity or nature of your workouts.
What are some of the ways you are staying active? Please leave us a comment below to share any fitness and exercise ideas you have found beneficial.